Utilization of unconventional sugarcane trash as feed in Narisuwarna X Kenguri sheep

Publication Date : 21/06/2017

DOI : 10.22623/IJAPSA.2017.3053.BQ6SL


Author(s) :

Jaishankar, N , B. Ramachandra , T. Thirumalesh , Jag Jiwan Ram , U.S. Biradar , N.V. Jadhav , M.D. Suranagi.


Volume/Issue :
Volume 3
,
Issue 6
(06 - 2017)



Abstract :

The pilot study on fifteen Narisuwarna X Kenguri sheep with average body weight of 25.88 kg were fed chopped sugarcane trash ad libitum and restricted (250g) concentrate feed mixture separately to assess the dry matter intake (DMI). The mean roughage DMI, roughage DMI per cent body weight and roughage DMI W0.75 observed were 385.12 g, 1.48 per cent, 33.59 g respectively. The mean concentrate DMI, concentrate DMI per cent body weight and concentrate DMI W0.75 recorded were 232.50 g, 0.9 per cent, 20.28g respectively. The mean total DMI, total DMI per cent body weight and total DMI W0.75 recorded were 617.62 g, 2.39 per cent, 53.86 g respectively. whereas, when ground sugarcane trash fed in the form of mixed diet with roughage to concentrate ratio of 50:50., The mean total DMI, total DMI per cent body weight and total DMI W0.75 recorded were 882.17 g, 3.36 per cent and 76.40 g respectively. Higher DMI was observed for mixed diets then feeding roughage and concentrate separately. This is indication to use sugarcane trash as sole roughage source along with concentrate feed mixture supplementation to improve DMI. Further, research requires to improve the nutritive value of sugarcane trash and to assess the digestibility and growth performance of sheep fed unprocessed or processed sugarcane trash.


No. of Downloads :

4